Taxi passenger safety guidance
The following information offers tips for passengers on how to stay safe when using private hire and hackney carriage vehicles:Only use licensed taxis.
- Only use licensed taxis
- All licensed Preston Taxis will display a plate (containing the vehicle licence details) to the front and rear of the vehicle. In addition, Private Hire vehicles will have door signage showing the vehicle licence number. See image examples at the bottom of the page.
- To check if a vehicle, driver or operator's licence is valid, see our licensing public register.
- Ask to see the driver's badge.
- Make a note of the vehicle licence (plate) number.
- Check that the driver's badge and vehicle details match those provided when booked through the operator.
- Check the door handles and windows are working correctly.
- Always sit in the back, behind the driver
- Track the route. Let the driver know that you are doing so.
- If travelling in a Hackney Carriage does the intercom system work correctly?
- Do not give away any personal details to the driver.
- Phone / text your friends / family informing them of your journeys progress and enable GPS tracking on your phone - always make sure your mobile phone is charged.
- Never admit that you are travelling or live alone.
- If using a wheelchair, ensure that it is properly secured.
- Check if you can see the taxi meter
- If you have pre-booked a journey, on approaching the vehicle don't tell the driver your name, instead ask the driver what name is on the booking.
- If using a taxi rank at weekends, please use one of the marshalled ones, if possible. for information relating to Hackney Carriages and the locations of Hackney Carriage Stands see taxi fares, ranks and accessibility.
- Never enter a Private Hire Vehicle unless you have pre-booked it.
- Discuss the price to confirm the fare with the driver before travelling.
- And finally... Trust your instincts.
If you wish to complain or submit a compliment regarding a Preston City Council licensed vehicle, driver or operator, please see taxi complaints and compliments.