Toggle menu

Report a Himalayan Balsam weed problem

Warning triangle

Himalayan Balsam weed close up

We deal with Himalayan Balsam problems on public land we own (e.g. parks, nature reserves, allotments, playgrounds). 

Himalayan Balsam problems on highways (e.g. roads, streets, pavements and grass verges) are the responsibility of Lancashire County Council.

Problems on private land is the responsibility of the land owner and must be reported to them.

What is Himalayan Balsam?

Himalayan Balsam is an invasive plant species which grows and spreads quickly on river banks, waste ground and damp woodlands. The plants grow densely and stops the growth of other plants and grasses.

How to identify it?

  • It grows up to 2-3m in height
  • It has red-tinged stems and green leaves
  • Purplish pink flowers from June to October

Why is it a problem?

Problems include:

  • Loss of native plant species  
  • Erodes riverbanks
  • Clogs up rivers and streams leading to flooding

How to report it

To report a Himalayan Balsam problem on public land we own complete the following online form:

Report an invasive weed problem

What happens next?

Once you have reported the problem, you will be contact by one of our officers to acknowledge your complaint before we investigate it. Our Parks Team will then inspect the problem as soon as they can and take the appropriate steps to remove the weed.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email