Business support and advice
Ongoing support and advice for businesses as lockdown restrictions are lifted.

Street trading

Information on applying for and renewing a street trading consent

Food stall

To be a street trader in Preston you have to apply to us for a street trading pitch.

Street trading pitches allow you to operate on streets that allow street trading to take place.

Please note: Street trading at events where the public have paid to access the site do not need to apply for a street trading pitch.

Street trading consent renewals

Street trading consents are currently being renewed per calendar month.  The monthly fee is £59.58.  Street trading consents will expire on the last day of the month and you will receive a reminder to renew 5 days before expiry. 

A covid-19 risk assessment must be submitted before the first renewal can be issued.  This should show how risks from covid-19 to customers, consent holders and staff are to be addressed.  We have created a template for the Icon for word street trading risk assessment [29.6KB] which you can download and complete. 

You should upload the completed risk assessment document onto the street trading monthly renewal form below when you submit your renewal application.

Renew your street trading monthly consent permit

For financial support for businesses that are affected by the emergency visit GOV.UK - financial support for businesses during COVID-19.

No new street pitches available

Unfortunately, there are currently no street trading pitches available in Preston (including the Flag Market). This is also the case for roaming traders such as ice cream vans.

However, pitches may be available from neighbouring local authorities such as:

Types of street traders

There two types of street traders:

  • Fixed pitch - trading from a fixed location
  • Mobile pitch - trading from a mobile vehicle (e.g. ice cream van)*

*Please note: it is also possible to trade as a pedlar (i.e. someone who trades on foot). For more information and how to apply see GOV.UK - how to apply for a pedlar's certificate.

Application process

When we receive an application for street trading, we ask Lancashire County Council (as the Highways Authority) and Lancashire Constabulary for their views on the suitability of any proposed location.

We may, from time to time, also seek the views of others likely to be affected should consent be granted.

What happens if the application is successful?

If your application is successful and involves the sale of food, you will also need to register a food business before you can trade.

What happens if the application is refused?

If your application is refused, you may wish to seek permission from other Councils.

You could also consider alternative ways of trading. Currently, if you are able to agree with a private land owner, you may be able to operate from their land. You should also talk to the planning department to find out whether additional land use is needed.

Reasons for refusal

The most common reasons for refusal are:

  • the location already has a street trading consent issued
  • the location is close to another location for which a consent has been issued
  • the Highways Authority or the Police have indicated the proposed location is unsafe (often for reasons around traffic control and ensuring clear lines of sight for drivers

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page