Report a missed bin (or pink bag) collection
Notice: please do not report missed collections before at least 3pm.
If your waste or recycling collection has been missed on your bin collection day, we should return to empty it within two working days. This also applies to properties on a pink bag collection.
Please note: we will only come out to empty a bin we have genuinely missed. If your bin was not put for collection on time, it will be emptied on your next bin collection day.
1. Check possible reasons for your missed bin
Before reporting a missed bin collection, check that it isn't due to one of the following:
Please note: Missed bins must be reported within 48 hours. Otherwise, you will need to wait until your next collection day.
Day and time
We may not empty your bin if:
- It was not put out on your collection day. To find your collection day please see our bin collection day tool
- It was not put out by 7am
- At times of severe cold weather, your bin has frozen contents. You can still report this as a missed bin, but the crew will not return until the weather has improved
Check that you left your bin out in an accessible location at the kerbside of the road nearest your property. You may need to present your bin at a collection point if your property is located on a private road or shared driveway.
'Heavy' or 'oops' sticker
Check whether there is a 'heavy' or 'oops' sticker on your bin. If so, please follow the guidance on your sticker to correct the problem and we will collect it on the next scheduled collection day.
New build properties
Please be aware that if you are moving into a property on one of Preston's new housing developments, there are a number of reasons your bins may be missed.
- If the site you have moved into still has works ongoing access may be restricted at times for our vehicles, particularly if road surfaces have not been completed.
- If you are one of the first residents to move in this is likely to be the case. We will attempt to access the bins at your property, however whilst works are ongoing this can vary from week to week.
- If missed bins are reported we will continue to return until we have been able to clear any build up of waste.
Shared driveways and private roads on new developments
The majority of the developers in Preston are using road designs that include shared and private roads to access some properties.
It is council policy that our vehicles will not drive on these shared and private roads.
If your property is situated at one of these locations, you will be required to leave bins at a collection point.
Information will be issued to individual properties advising of these collection points. We aim to get this information out to affected residents as soon as possible, once bins have been delivered.
If you have any concerns regarding this we would encourage residents to discuss this with the developers while they are still on site.
Garden waste collection charge
Garden waste is a chargeable service. If you have not paid the subscription charge, your brown bin will not be collected. Your bin must be displaying a valid permit for crews to start collections.
For more information and how to apply see garden waste collection.
Please note: if your missed bin was due to one of the factors above, it will be emptied on your next bin collection day.
2. Report a missed bin (or pink bag) collection
If you think your bin has genuinely been missed, you must report it to us within two days:
Please wait until after 3pm on the day of the collection before reporting it.
Please note: If you report a missed bin after two days, you will need to wait until your next collection day. We will not take extra waste on the next collection. Any additional waste can be taken to your local recycling centre (tip).
What happens next?
If we have genuinely missed your collection, we will empty your bin within 2 working days. Unfortunately, we cannot give you a specific day or time for this.
Please leave your bin out for collection in the usual location. If there are any issues regarding your collection, we will contact you.