Toggle menu

How your benefit is calculated


Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. Council Tax Support is taken off your Council Tax bill.

How much benefit will I qualify for?

How much you get for both of these benefits depends on your income and circumstances. It is assessed by looking at your:

  • household
  • any other adults living with you
  • personal circumstances such as illness and disability
  • income

You will not be entitled to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if:

  • you have savings of over £16,000 in capital, unless you are also in receipt of the guaranteed element of state pension credit.

The amount you receive will vary according to your income, capital and other people in the household. We will take into consideration their income and whether you or your family have any special circumstances such as illness or disability.

You can obtain an estimate of what you could be entitled to by using the Entitled To - Benefit calculator.

How is my benefit worked out?

We work out your benefit by comparing the money you get each week with your applicable amount.

Your applicable amount is the minimum amount the government says you and your family need to live on each week. The applicable amount will be higher for some people, for example if you are disabled or if you are a one-parent family.

If you receive Income Support, income based Jobseekers Allowance or the guaranteed credit element of Pension credits you will get the full amount of benefit after any deductions for non-dependants have been taken off.

For Housing Benefit the maximum level of rent we can pay may be restricted under the rules of Local Housing Allowance or under occupation Housing Benefit.

For Council Tax Support, the final benefit entitlement figure is reduced by 20% for all working age customers.

What if I am still struggling?

If your benefit is in payment and you're still struggling to pay any shortfalls in your rent and Council Tax you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment. For help towards your rent apply for an Exceptional Hardship Payment.

We will consider paying up to the difference between your benefit entitlement and your rent/council tax liability.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email