People in prison
If someone living in your property goes into prison or is detained, and without them there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.
If a property is left empty because the person who used to live there has gone into prison or is detained, you can apply for an exemption (which means you don't have to pay Council Tax for the property).
People this includes
- Convicted prisoners
- Remand prisoners
- Those in custody awaiting deportation decisions
- Those in custody repatriated from abroad
- Those in PRES hostels
- Those temporarily released from custody
People this does not include
- Those in custody for fine defaulting
- Those in custody for non-payment of the Council Tax
- Those in Police custody before first appearance in court
How do I apply
To apply please complete the following form:
Before a discount can be granted, the applicant must provide the information in part 1 to 4, confirmation will be sought from the Prison Service.