Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

People in prison

Police officer

If someone living in your property goes into prison or is detained, and without them there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.

If a property is left empty because the person who used to live there has gone into prison or is detained, you can apply for an exemption (which means you don't have to pay Council Tax for the property).

People this includes

  • Convicted prisoners
  • Remand prisoners
  • Those in custody awaiting deportation decisions
  • Those in custody repatriated from abroad
  • Those in PRES hostels
  • Those temporarily released from custody

People this does not include

  • Those in custody for fine defaulting
  • Those in custody for non-payment of the Council Tax
  • Those in Police custody before first appearance in court

How do I apply

To apply please complete the following form:

People in prison Council Tax discount form

Alternatively, complete the pdf version of the Prisoners Council Tax discount form (PDF) [79KB] .

Before a discount can be granted, the applicant must provide the information in part 1 to 4, confirmation will be sought from the Prison Service.

If you need help to complete the form, please make an appointment through our online booking form or ring 01772 906902

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email