Toggle menu

Temporary Use Notices and Occasional Use Notices

Pen and paper

Temporary Use Notices (TUN's) or Occasional Use Notices (OUN's) enable temporary gambling facilities or occasional betting activities in places which do not have the appropriate gambling premises licence.

TUNs and OUNs can be applied for use on any premises by anyone who holds an operating licence.

Gambling activities must fall within the activities which the operator is authorised to provide under their operating licence.

Temporary Use Notice (TUN)

TUNs can be applied for periods of up to 21 days in any 12 month period.

What can you use a Temporary Use Notice for?

  • casino
  • facilities for the playing of bingo
  • use of a gaming machine
  • other facilities for gaming
  • facilities for betting

Please note: activities are restricted to equal chance gaming, where the gaming has a single overall winner.

How much is a Temporary Use Notice?

Copy of notice£25

How to apply

Complete the Temporary use notice application form (PDF) [238KB]  and return to us:

Licensing Services
Environmental Health Department
Town Hall
Lancaster Road

Payment can be made card through the licensing office on 01772 906910 (option 1) using a debit or credit card.

Please note: a TUN must be applied for at least three months before you would like the gambling or betting activity to take place.

Can anyone object to a TUN?

Yes. If a TUN would result in a premises being used for more than 21 days in the previous 12 month period, the licensing authority must serve a counter notice against the TUN.

The previous 12 months means a period of 12 months ending on the last day of the period specified in the temporary use notice.

Any person served with a TUN can, within 21 days of receipt by the licensing authority, object by giving notice to the licensing authority. This includes the licensing authority's licensing officers.

If a notice is served a hearing must be held within two months from the date of receipt.

What happens at the hearing?

The hearing will be held in front of the licensing sub-committee resulting in the licensing authority deciding to serve a counter notice which may provide for the TUN:

  • not to have effect
  • to have effect only in respect of a specified activity
  • to have effect only in respect of activity carried out during a specified period of time or at a specified time of day
  • to have effect subject to compliance with a specified condition

Can I appeal against an objection?

The decision of the licensing sub-committee may be subject to an appeal to the Magistrates Court by any persons who are party to the hearing.

When will I receive my TUN?

If no objection to a TUN is received the licensing authority must approve a copy of the notice and return it within 21 days.

The temporary use notice must be displayed on the premises whilst the specified activity is being undertaken and produced on request to a:

  • Constable
  • Gambling Inspector
  • Authorised local authority officer

Occasional Use Notices (OUN)

Occasional Use Notices (OUN's) allow occasional betting activities at tracks for short periods, without the need for a betting premises licence.

OUNs can only be used for eight days or less in one calendar year in one location. If the event is to take place on consecutive days, one OUN must be given for each day.

Where can you use an OUN?

  • point to point racecourses
  • motor racing venues
  • Some cricket grounds

How much?

No charge.

How to apply

Complete the Occasional use notice application form (PDF) [78KB] and return to us:

Licensing Services
Environmental Health Department
Town Hall
Lancaster Road

How can an OUN be given?

An OUN can only be given by a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or an occupier of the track.

A copy of the notice must also be served on the Police for the area where the track is located.

Can anyone object to an OUN?

No. Provided that the betting activity is not available for more than eight days in a calendar year.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email