Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Tell us if you intend to demolish a building

Demolition truck

Buildings to be demolished are subject to legal requirements administered by the Building Control staff, this is in the interest of safety to the public and adjoining owners or occupiers.

What do I need to do?

Apply using our Demolition Notice (PDF) [149KB] under the Building Act 1984, Section 80 (2). 

In most instances if you wish to carry out a demolition you are required to notify the City Council, giving six weeks notice, and enclosing the following information:

  • A site location plan indicating the building(s) to be demolished 
  • A site plan showing all the drains and sewers
  • A copy of your notification to adjacent properties 
  • A copy of your notification to utility companies
  • The proposed commencement and completion dates

What happens next?

A counter notice will be served on you that may require you to carry out works to services and adjoining buildings.

This is to ensure that gas, electricity and water supplies are made safe, redundant drains are sealed, affected buildings are properly supported and weatherproofed, and on completion, debris is removed and the site made safe.

If the proposal requires the erection of a scaffold/hoarding and/or skips on the highway/footpath, a permit will be required from the Highways Section of Lancashire County Council.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email