You will be given a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) by an authorised enforcement officer if you have committed an offence.

If you pay the FPN, that is the end of the issue and there will be no criminal record.

Penalty Notice for Disorder (PND)

The government has today (26 March 2020) made new public health regulations strengthening police enforcement powers in England, to reduce the spread of coronavirus, protecting the NHS and saving lives.

To ensure people stay at home and avoid non-essential travel, if members of the public do not comply the police may:

  • instruct them to go home, leave an area or disperse
  • ensure parents are taking necessary steps to stop their children breaking these rules
  • issue a fixed penalty notice of £60

Individuals who do not pay a fixed penalty notice under the regulations could be taken to court, with magistrates able to impose unlimited fines.

If an individual continues to refuse to comply, they will be acting unlawfully, and the police may arrest them where deemed proportionate and necessary.

How to pay

To pay your FPN and/or your PND please complete the following online form:

Pay fixed penalty notice

Please note: you must pay your FPN within 14 days and/or your PND within 21 days from issue (29 days for smoking offences).

How much is it?

The table below shows the FPN amount to be paid for each type of offence.

Some offences offer a reduction in payment if paid early. Both the early payment amount and deadline can be found by the offence.

Offence typePenalty amount (£)Early penalty amount (£) 


Early payment deadline
Penalty Notice for Disorder, lower tier offence60n/anone
Penalty Notice for Disorder, upper tier offence90n/anone
Dog fouling penalty100657 days
Dog on lead100657 days
Dog on lead by direction100657 days
Dogs exclusion100657 days
Stray dog returned to owner121121none
Smoking in a smoke-free place503015 days
Failure to display no-smoking signage20015015 days
Abandoned vehicle200200none
Littering150757 days
Littering from vehicles1507514 days
Graffiti and fly-posting150757 days
Anti-social behaviour80507 days
Unauthorised distribution of free literature150757 days
Breach of commercial waste receptacles notices110757 days
Failure to produce waste carriers authority3002007 days
Failure to produce records3002007 days
Fly tipping4002007 days
Breach of household duty of care4002007 days

What happens if I don't pay?

You cannot appeal against the FPN.

If you don't pay and the offence is sent to Court, you may need to pay a bigger fine and get a criminal record (which must be declared when applying for jobs, travelling etc.).

Please note: it is an offence to not give your name, or give a false address to an authorised officer when asked and you could be prosecuted for not giving this information.

For wider questions and answers please visit our frequently asked questions page.

FAQs Fixed Penalty Notices