We need certain information and evidence from you to process your claim as quickly as possible.

When making a claim remember

  • Always provide evidence of your income and capital and any other relevant information
  • Always complete and send in your form as soon as possible
  • Always provide any evidence asked from you as soon as possible

When making a new claim you will need to provide identification for yourself and proof of your National Insurance Number.

Acceptable forms of proof of National Insurance Number

  • P45 or P60
  • Wage slip
  • Tax letter
  • DWP notification letter
  • RD3 National Insurance card

Acceptable forms of identification

  • Current valid passport
  • National Identity card issued by a European Economic Area member state
  • Full Driving Licence
  • UK Residence permit
  • Marriage certificate
  • Paid utility bill
  • Birth certificate
  • Benefit award letter from DWP
  • Letter from solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor

Types of income proof we need

We need to see a notification letter for your current award if you receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credits.

What we needWhat you need to supply
Proof of earnings

For each job - 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly consecutive wage slips. If you do not have these ask us for an 'employers certificate'. This must include a company stamp.

If you are self-employed - your last profit and loss accounts covering a 12 month period. If you do not have these ask for a self-employed form from us.

Proof of other income
State benefits and pension

Department for Works and Pension notification letter for the current award

Bank statement showing the payments going in

Occupational pension

Pay Slips

Letter from your former employer

Tax CreditsHMRC notification letter - all pages
MaintenanceLetter from Child Support Agency or a letter from payer
Other incomeLetter showing the amount and frequency
Student grant / loanCurrent grant / loan award letter including a full breakdown of the type of grant
Child care paymentsReceipts showing the amount of payments made, frequency of the payments and the childminder's OFSTED registration number
Proof of capital

Up to date bank statements covering the last 2 months.

Share certificates
National savings certificates  
Premium bonds
Documentary evidence of any other type of capital

Second propertiesEvidence of the current valuation and the amount of the outstanding mortgage
Evidence of the amount of any rental income received


How to send your documents

You can upload any information direct to us by using our E-Claim upload form or you can e-mail your documents to us at benefits@preston.gov.uk.

Upload your documents using the E-Claim upload form