Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Do I need a HMO licence?

Question mark in a speech bubble

All properties that are occupied by five or more people, will require a mandatory House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence.

Do I need a HMO licence?

If you let a property which is one of the following types, you must obtain a House in Multiple Occupation licence:

  • An entire house, bungalow, flat or any kind of accommodation which is let to more than four unrelated occupiers, who form two or more households and who share a basic amenity.
  • A house which has been converted entirely into bedsits or other non-self-contained accommodation and which is let to more than four unrelated occupiers who form two or more households and who share kitchen, bathroom or toilet facilities.
  • A converted house which contains one or more flats which are not wholly self contained (i.e. the flat does not contain within it a kitchen, bathroom and toilet) and which is occupied by more than four unrelated occupiers who form two or more households.
  • A building which contains more than four unrelated occupiers which is converted entirely into self-contained flats, if the conversion did not meet the standards of the 1991 Building Regulations and more than one-third of the flats are let on short-term tenancies. (Legislation - Housing Act 2004, s257 HMO)

In order to be a HMO the property must be used as the tenants' only or main residence and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. 

Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges.

Please note - one individual person can form a household.

How do I apply for a HMO licence?

Anyone who owns or manages a HMO that needs to be licensed has to apply to us for a license.

What if I make changes to my licensed HMO property?

If your property has a mandatory House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence and something changes you need to let us know.

The change may be in relation to the number of occupants, the number of rooms, that your HMO Licence is no longer required for the property, you have / are selling the property, the property is vacant, or you have changed the management of the property.

You can tell us all about these changes using our online form.

Tell us about a HMO change of circumstances

Houses in multiple occupation register

Under the Housing Act 2004 s232, we are required to publish details of mandatory Licensed HMOs in the Preston area.

The list is automatically updated as new licences are issued.

View a list of Mandatory Licensed HMOs

You can also view the full register at our offices, or receive a copy of the full register in excel format, by using the form below:

Request to view, or receive a copy of, the Mandatory Licensed HMO Register

The Government intends that by making the owners' contact details available, any issues arising at the property (for example anti-social behaviour) can be quickly addressed to the HMO licence holder as the person in control.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email