Homelessness advice and assistance
We offer advice and support to Preston residents at risk of becoming homeless.
Please note: if you live outside Preston, you need to contact your local council.
When to contact us
Please contact us as soon as you think you may be at risk of losing your home.
This will give us more time to prevent you becoming homeless or help you to find somewhere else to live before you do.
How to contact us
You can contact housing advice in the following ways:
- Telephone - 01772 906412 (out of hours: 01772 906014)
- In person - Housing Advisory Service, Town Hall, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 2RL
What happens next?
Once you have contacted us, we will offer you an interview with a Housing Advisor.
During your initial interview we will ask questions about you and your situation.
After the initial interview, we may need to arrange to see you again to complete a full housing assessment and agree a personal housing plan.
You will need to bring in all the paperwork to do with your housing problem, so we can give you accurate advice. For example:
- a tenancy agreement
- notice to quit or notice seeking possession
- court documents
- arrears letter
- financial information
The Housing Advisory Officer will talk to you about your current situation, discuss any difficulties you are having and help you look at your options to either:
- help you stay in your current home or find alternative accommodation prior to becoming homeless (prevention duty)
- find alternative housing if you are already homeless (relief duty)
For more information on the personal housing plan process please read the personal housing plan page.
Our responsibilities - Homeless Reduction Act
The Homelessness Reduction Act covers what help we offer to people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness.
Under this Act the we must:
- carry out prevention and relief work for anyone who is threatened with homelessness within the next 56 days
- provide advice and carry out prevention work, so that ,wherever possible, people can be supported to remain in their current home
- offer everyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness access to meaningful help, irrespective of their priority need status, as long as they are eligible for assistance
Make a homeless application form
Please complete the homeless application form if you have a housing problem, homeless or threatened with homelessness.
Please provide details of your situation and we will try to answer your enquiry however due to the complex nature of many housing problems we may contact you to ask further information from you in order to provide a detailed answer.
This service is free and confidential and available only to persons residing in the Preston City Council area.