Toggle menu

Voter ID for Elections


For all future elections, voters will need to show an accepted form of photographic identification (photo ID) to vote at a polling station.

What Photo ID do I need?

Most people will already have ID.  The list of ID is here:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Photo Driving Licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state
  • A Blue Badge
  • Older Person's Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person's Bus Pass
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Freedom Pass
  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • Biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state

You will only need to show one form of photo ID. It needs to be the original version and not a photocopy.

You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you. The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

For more information on what types of ID are accepted visit the Electoral Commission - Accepted forms of photo ID.

What if I don't have any of the listed ID documents?

If you don't have any of the Photo ID listed above, you will need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. 

Apply for Voter Authority Certificate

You will need to provide other documents to confirm your identity. You will be able to apply online or complete a paper form. 

Electoral Commission - Voter ID 

Full details on how to apply is now available on Electoral Commission - Voter ID

An  Easy Read document on Voter ID (PDF) [776KB]  is now available and explains the process of showing ID at a polling stations. 

Accessible voting

All voters should be able to register and cast their vote. The Elections Act 2022 has introduced changes to assist voters with disabilities at polling stations. More information can be found on the Accessible Voting page.

British Sign Language YouTube Video - Applying for a Voter Authority Certificate

British Sign Language YouTube Video - What will happen at the polling station

British Sign Language YouTube Video - Which forms of ID can I use to vote

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email