You need a premises licence if you want to provide any of the following licensable activities on a premises:

  • sale of alcohol (for example - pubs, bars, night clubs, shops)
  • regulated entertainment (for example - music, singing or dancing)
  • hot food or drink (between 11pm and 5am)

Please note: Premises includes a vehicle, vessel or moveable structure. Please visit the full list of licensable activities and exemptions for more information. 

Please note: It is an offence to buy alcohol for onward sale or supply from an unapproved UK wholesaler.

GOV.UK - Check if your UK wholesaler is approved

You will need your wholesalers unique reference number, which should be displayed on their invoice.

Who can apply?

  • anyone who carries on a business in the premises
  • recognised club
  • charity
  • health service body
  • person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • person from an educational institute
  • any other permitted person

Please note: applicants must not be under 18 years of age.

How much is a premises licence?

Alcohol and entertainment licence fees

How to apply for a premises licence?

You can apply for a premises licence by visiting:

GOV.UK - premises licence application form

Please note: If your application includes the sale of alcohol, a Icon for pdf consent form for the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) [8.74KB] must be completed and specified on the premises licence.

This individual must hold a valid personal licence - alcohol and entertainment.

What do I need to include?

You need to include a copy of the following:

  • Premises plan
  • Consent form completed by the DPS (needed for application's that include the sale of alcohol)
  • Application's submitted by individuals will be required to submit a copy of their passport

The Annual fee

To keep your licence valid, you will need to pay an annual fee.  

Alcohol and entertainment licence fees

Please note: A reminder letter will be sent out to you one month before the due date detailing how to make payment.

How to pay

Pay your premises licence annual fee

What happens next?

A copy of your application must also be advertised to the 8 responsible authorities. We will do this on your behalf if the application is submitted online.

You must also advertise your application in a noticeable location at the premises within a day and the local newspaper within 10 working days.

For an example layout, please download the Icon for pdf Premises licence application notice example [94.32KB].

Consultation period

There will be a consultation period of 28 days starting the day after we have received your application.

This time allows objections to be made from the following responsible authorities, a list of the details of the responsible authorities can be found at the bottom of this page:

  • Police
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • Environmental Health
  • Planning
  • Child Protection
  • Trading Standards
  • LCC Public Health Licensing
  • Home Office (Immigration Enforcement)

Objection criteria

Objections must be based on the licence not promoting one or more of the following licensing objectives:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • protection of children from harm

If no objections are received during this time, your licence will be granted the day after the end of the consultation period. You will receive your licence within 10 working days.


If objections are made against the application, a hearing will be held within 20 working days from the end of the consultation period. The decision to grant or refuse the application will be decided by the Licensing Sub Committee.

If a hearing is held the licence can be:

  • Granted
  • Granted subject to additional conditions
  • Refused

A decision is usually made at the end of hearing. We will inform you once a decision has been made, along with the person who made the objection and the chief of police.


Anyone can appeal an application if it is refused.

Appeals must be made to a Magistrates court within 21 days of the decision being made.

Vary or transfer a licence

To change the activities on an existing licence please visit vary a premises licence or club premises certificate.

If you wish to take over a premises license, you must make an application to transfer a premises licence.

List of responsible authorities

When making an application to transfer a premises licence, only the authorities listed below need to be informed.


Licensing Unit, Lancashire Police, Preston Divisional Headquarters, Lancaster Road Noth, Preston, PR1 2SA

Telephone - 01772 209794 extension 5

Email - 

Licensing Unit website

Fire and Rescue

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, Preston Fire Safety Department, Blackpool Road, Preston, PR1 6US

Telephone - 01772 556506

Email -

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service website


Divisional Manager (Development Control), Environmental Services, Town Hall, Lancaster Road, PR1 2RL

Telephone - 01772 906580

Email - 

Environmental Health

Environmental Services (Noise and Nuisance) Town Hall, Lancaster Road, PR1 2RL

Telephone - 01772 906151

Email - 

Protection of Children

Lancashire Safeguarding Children's, Board Manager, Room 503, Eastcliffe JDO, Preston, PR1 3JP

Telephone - 01772 530283

Email - 

Lancashire County Council website

Trading Standards 

Lancashire County Council, Trading Standards, Licensing Act 2003, Room D21 County Hall, Pitt Street, Preston, PR1 8XB.

Telephone - 01772 534373

Email -

Lancashire County Council - Trading Standards website

Public Health

Lancashire County Council, Public Health - Licensing, First Floor, Christ Church Precinct, County Hall, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 8XJ

Email - 

Lancashire County Council - Public Health website

Home Office (Immigration Enforcement)

Alcohol Licensing Team, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY

Email -

GOV.UK - Immigration Enforcement

For the following services

  • educational establishments
  • local authority premises
  • hospitals
  • factories

Health & Safety Executive, Licensing applications, Redgrave Court, Merton Road, Bootle, Merseyside, L20 THS.

Telephone - 0300 003 1647 

Health and Safety Executive website