Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Business rates appeals and valuation

Speech bubbles - one with a cross in it and one with a tick

How do I make a business rates appeal

The rateable value of your business premises is set by the GOV.UK - Valuation Office Agency.

The valuation officer may alter the value if the circumstances of the property have changed.

If you are concerned that your business rates may be incorrect, you can check the information the VOA has used and let them know if something is incorrect using the GOV.UK - Check and challenge your business rates valuation.

Please be aware even if you appeal you must continue to pay your rates until the result of your appeal is determined. If you do not pay, as billed, recovery action may be taken even though an appeal is outstanding.

If your appeal is successful and you have paid too much, you can claim a refund, this is providing we have not obtained a liability order at court to recover unpaid business rates.

Make a business rates appeal (GOV.UK)

Rateable value

The rateable value of a property is assessed by the GOV.UK - Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and draws up and maintains a full list of all rateable values.

You can find the rateable value of a property which includes details of how the rateable value was calculated for most properties via GOV.UK - Find a business rates valuation.

We have no involvement in the valuation process but are required, by law, to charge you the value shown in the rating list.

The rateable value is usually ‚Äčan assessment of the annual rent of the property, if it were available to rent on the open market at a fixed valuation date.

Find the rateable value of a property (GOV.UK)

Rating advisors

You do not have to be represented in discussions about your rateable value or your rates bill.

Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge, however, if you wish to be represented members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

Before you employ a rating advisor, please check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract, as you may become liable for charges or costs.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email