Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

When someone has died...

Speech bubble with three dots inside

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these things is contacting the government departments and local authority services that need to be told.

In partnership with Lancashire County Council we hope we can help you tell the people who need to know through the government's "Tell Us Once" Service.

Registering a death

When someone has died, their death needs to be registered with the registrar - Lancashire County Council - Register a death.

Once that's done, you will offered the "Tell Us Once" service and a unique reference number by the registrars. This then gives you the opportunity to let several other government departments know of the death at once. 

How and who to contact when you have a "Tell Us Once" reference number


You can complete the Tell Us Once online form through GOV.UK - Tell Us Once.

In person

Customers requiring a face to face service for "Tell Us Once" should call 01772 906900 to make an appointment.

We will ask additional questions relating to council services to ensure a "right first time service".

Our offices are located at:

  • Town Hall, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 2RL.

Our offices are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday (Thursdays are closed 9am - 10am).

Reporting a death using the Tell Us Once service video

Who we can give information to

We will contact the following organisations if we need to:

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • The Pension Service
  • Disability and Carers Service
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Tax Credits
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Benefit Office

We can also contact the following, if you ask us to:

  • Council Tax
  • Libraries
  • Blue badges
  • Adult social care
  • Children's social care
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Electoral services
  • The DVLA

How we will treat the information you give us

We will treat all the information you give us securely.

The organisations we give your information to will use it to update records; to end services, benefits and entitlements as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use the information we give them in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Information you will need to use the service

We want to make sure we give the right information to any organisations we contact. We will need the following information about the person who has died:

  • their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • their death certificate

We may also ask you for information about:

  • their next of kin
  • any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • anybody who is getting Child Benefit on their behalf
  • the person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the agreement of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

Next of kin

If you are the next of kin, you may be entitled to an increase in benefits, so please have your own National Insurance number to hand when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased's estate, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on their behalf.

Please remember that it is still your responsibility to make sure any organisation that pays you a benefit has correct and up-to-date information.

Related map

Town Hall, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 2RL.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email