Toggle menu

Confirmation of Voter Registration 2024

All properties will shortly be receiving a form or email to ask the occupant to confirm who is resident at the property for voting purposes. Please check the details when you receive this and respond online if appropriate.

Trees in conservation areas


Trees in conservation areas are protected. This means you must get consent from us before you can carry out any work to a tree in these areas.

Failure to so could result in prosecution and a fine of up to £20,000. You will also normally have to plant a replacement tree if the tree was cut down or destroyed.

Please note: if a tree is not in a conservation area, it may still be protected by a Tree preservation orders (TPOs)

Type of tree works

Tree works include:

  • Pruning
  • Lopping
  • Topping
  • Felling
  • Crown raising
  • Uprooting

Find out if a tree is in a conservation area

To find out whether or not a tree is located in a conservation area or protected by a TPO see the map at the bottom of the page.

When you don't need consent

You do not need consent to carry out work on a tree when the following applies:

Tree size

You do not need permission if you want to cut down trees less than 7.5 cm in diameter (measured 1.5 metres above the ground) or 10 cm if thinning to help the growth of other trees.

Dead or dangerous

Consent is not needed to remove a tree that is:

  • Dead
  • Dangerous

However, you must notify us at least five working days before the works starts. If works are urgent to remove the risk of serious harm, then notification must be given as soon as possible after the works becomes necessary.

Notifications of dead/dangerous trees should be sent to  

Please note: you must include photographic evidence of the dead/dangerous tree(s).

How to apply for consent

You can apply for consent to carry out work on a protected tree through the following ways:

1. Trees in conservation areas

To apply to work on a tree in conservation area complete the following online form:

Planning Portal - apply for consent to work on tree in a conservation area

Please note: once you have added your name and address select 'tree works: trees in conservation areas/subject to TPOs' to start your application.

2. Trees in conservation areas with a TPO

For full details and how to apply please visit the Tree preservation orders (TPOs)

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your form, we have a six week period to make a decision.

During this time, we will assess your application and contact you to say whether consent have been granted or whether the tree should be given a TPO.

If you do not receive a decision within 6 weeks then you can assume consent is granted.

What if the tree is given a TPO?

If the tree is given a TPO, you will need to apply for consent to carry out work on a tree with a TPO.

For more details see Tree preservation orders (TPOs)

Map address of trees with TPOs and conservation areas

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email