Severe mental impairment
If everyone living in a property is severely mentally impaired you can apply for an exemption(which means you don't have to pay Council Tax for the property).
Council Tax discount
If someone living with you is severely mentally impaired and without them there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.
To get this discount or exemption the person must be entitled to one of the following benefits:
- Incapacity Benefit
- Attendance Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Disability working allowance
- Unemployability supplement
- Unemployability allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Disability element of working tax credit
- Standard or enhanced rate of personal independence payments
- The high or mid rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Increase in the rate of Disablement Pension
- Income Support, which includes a disability premium
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Universal Credit with one of the above qualifying benefit elements
- Universal Credit including limited capability for work and work-related activity
How do I apply
To apply please complete the following form:
Additional Information required
You will need to give the certificate part of the form to the person's medical practitioner for them to complete. Then send or upload the completed form, certificate and proof of benefit to the address at the bottom of this page.
We will use the information the doctor gives us only to process your application for a discount or exemption.