We are required to keep and maintain a register of land within the area that is classified as contaminated.
Please note: There are currently no entries on the contaminated land register.
What is contaminated land?
Contaminated land is land that is polluted by the following:
- heavy metals, e.g. arsenic, cadmium and lead
- oils and tars
- chemical substances and preparations, e.g. solvents
- radioactive substances
We have responsibility for regulating most land within our area, however effective working partnerships will always be needed. This means working with:
- Developers and planners (to ensure land is both suitable and safe for use)
- Industry managers (to clean up their own land and reduce future potential)
- Land owners and past polluters (to ensure that issues are dealt with openly and honestly)
- Other statutory authorities such as the Environment Agency, English Nature, English Heritage and the Food Standards Agency
- Local residents who may be able to supply valuable historical knowledge of local sites
Reporting contaminated land
If you think a certain area of land may be contaminated please report it to us:
telephone: 01772 906907