New resident of Preston
Welcome to Preston, the heart of Lancashire...
Just moved into the area? If so, you will find the following information useful as a new resident of the city:
Please note: for information on local advice and support around COVID-19 and current local restrictions see Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Register for Council Tax at your new address
- Find out your Council Tax rate
- How to pay your Council Tax
- Apply for Council Tax Support
Find out more about Council Tax.
For wider help and advice services in Preston visit Help in Preston.
Bins and recycling
- Request a new bin
- Apply for garden waste collection
- Apply for clinical waste collection
- Find your bin collection day
- Items you can put in your grey bin
- Items you can put in your recycling bins and boxes
Find out more about bins and recycling.
Register to vote
Find out more about elections and voting.
Find out more about councillors and meetings.
Local community involvement
Find out more about local neighbourhoods and communities.
Help in Preston
Help in Preston is a website for the whole community. Connecting you to the help you need at the time you most need it.
The website brings together information from a wide range of Preston based advice and support services from benefits and money advice, through to housing, health and wellbeing, plus much more.
Jobs and volunteering
For all the latest council job vacancies and volunteering opportunities see jobs and volunteering.
Parks and open spaces
For information on Preston's public parks and open spaces, such as nature reserves, country parks and cycle routes, see Visit Preston - outdoor and adventure.
Leisure, culture and events
For information on things to do and see in Preston, plus upcoming events, quality of life, places to study and the city's investment scene take a look at Visit Preston.
Local services near me
Our find my nearest service provides you with details of the following local services near you:
- Polling station
- GP practices
You can also find personal information about your property, which ward you live in, bin collections dates, local councillors and property planning applications.
Doing work on your new home?
- Get advice from our planning and building control team
- Hire a skip
- Arrange a bulky waste collection
- Find out about improving energy efficiency
Useful Lancashire County Council services
The following services are managed by Lancashire County Council. You may find them helpful as a new resident of Preston:
- Apply for a resident parking permit
- Apply for a blue badge
- Apply for concessionary travel pass (NoWcard)
- Find your local recycling centre
- Find a school
- Find childcare
- Join a library
Redirect your post
Ask Royal Mail to send your mail to your new address.
Map address for Preston City Council Town Hall
Preston Town Hall