Toggle menu

Minor variation - premises licence or club premises certificate


You can make a minor variation to your premises licence or club premises certificate if you are looking to make small changes to your licence or certificate that would not have a significant impact on the licence objectives.

Minor changes include:

  • small changes to the layout of a premises
  • the addition of authorisation for late night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as performance of plays or film exhibitions)
  • small changes to licensing hours (see below on changes relating to alcohol)
  • revisions, removals and additions of conditions (this could include the removal or amendment of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions, or the addition of volunteered conditions)

Minor changes do not include:

  • adding the sale of alcohol
  • extending licensing hours for the sale of alcohol - between 11pm and 7am
  • increasing the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold
  • extending the period for which the licence or certificate has effect
  • transferring the licence from one premises to another, or substantially varying the current premises
  • specifying an individual as the designated premises supervisor

Please note: If your change is not a minor variation you may need a Full variation - premises licence or club premises certificate or designated premises supervisor variation premises licence.

How much is it?

Please visit alcohol and entertainment licence fees for exact costings.

Alcohol and entertainment licence fees

How to apply

To apply for a minor variation to a premises licence or club premises certificate complete the following form:

GOV.UK - minor variation application form (premises licence or club premises certificate)

You can also download a copy of the Icon for pdf minor variation application form for a premises licence or club premises certificate [222.7KB].  

What do I need to include?

You will need to include a copy of the premises plan. This is only required if the variation includes changes to the internal layout of the premises.

What happens next?

We may send a copy of your application to one responsible authorities depending on the nature of the change:

  • Police
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • Environmental Health
  • Planning
  • Child Protection
  • Trading Standards
  • LCC Public Health Licensing
  • Home Office (Immigration Enforcement)

You must also advertise your application in a noticeable location at the premises within a day.

For an example layout, please download the, Icon for pdf application notice example [7.7KB].

Consultation period

There will be a consultation period of 10 working days starting the day after we have received your application.

A decision will be made within 15 working days.

This time allows objections to be made from the licensing manager and any related responsible authorities.

Objection criteria

Objections must be based on the variation not promoting one or more of the following licensing objectives:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • protection of children from harm

If no objections have been made, you will receive your updated licence or certificate within 10 days of the grant of minor variation.


If objections are made against the application, a hearing will be held within 20 working days from the end of the consultation period. The decision to grant or refuse the application will be decided by the Licensing Sub Committee.

If a hearing is held the variation can be:

  • Granted
  • Granted subject to additional conditions
  • Refused

A decision is usually made at the end of the hearing. We will inform you once a decision has been made, along with the person who made the objection and the chief of police.


Anyone at the hearing can appeal the decision.

Appeals must be made to a Magistrates court within 21 days of the decision being made.

Transfer a licence

If you wish to take over a premises license, you must make an application to Transfer a premises licence.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email