The Flood Re scheme
What is Flood Re?
Flood Re is a joint Government and insurance industry initiative to enable you to find affordable insurance for qualifying properties that are at risk of flooding or have been flooded. Part of our work also involves helping you find out more about flood risks to your home and how you can help to reduce them.
Can Flood Re help me?
Flood Re works in the background, helping the insurance industry offer more affordable insurance to everyone with eligible properties that may be at risk of flooding.
What do I need to do?
- Talk to your insurer and ask them if your home is eligible for the Flood Re scheme.
- Be prepared to shop around.
- Remember, finding the right advice and products is important.
Do I make my claims through Flood Re?
No. You will continue to buy insurance and make claims through your insurer in the same way as you do now.
What can I do to prevent flooding?
Find out more about flood risk levels in your area and how to minimise the impact
on your property.
How does Flood Re work?
We work behind the scenes, taking on the high flood risk elements of your home insurance. It works like this:
- We collect an annual tax from home insurers who will contribute £180m to a fund each year that we manage centrally.
- Your insurer passes on any high flood risk part of your policy to us, so you don't have to do a thing.
- We then take responsibility for the flood risk part of your policy and if you make a valid claim on your insurance we'll reimburse the insurer from the central Flood Re fund.
With this support from us, insurers should be able to provide affordable insurance, even on
those homes which are most at risk as they no longer have to pay the cost of the flood claim.
Over time, we estimate Flood Re will benefit over 350,000 households by providing access to
those more affordable policies.