Toggle menu

Building notice guidance notes


These notes are for general guidance only.

Particulars regarding submission of Notices are contained in Regulation 13 of the Building Regulations and, in respect of charges the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations.

Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Act

One copy only of this Notice should be completed and submitted.

Your details

The Applicant is the person on whose behalf the work is being carried out, for example the building's owner.

Details of work

LABC Services provides National Type Approval for a range of building types, building systems and major building elements where they are used repeatedly.

If the work proposed, or any part of it, is subject to a LANTAC approval please answer Yes and enclose a copy of the appropriate current certificate(s).

If there is any variation in this proposal from that shown on the LANTAC Type Approved Plans attention should be drawn to it in a covering letter.

Further information on LANTAC schemes is available from your Local Building Control Services office or LANTAC, Local Government House, Smith Square, London, SW1 3HZ.

The person carrying out the building work must give written Notice of commencement of the work at least two days beforehand.

Statement and documents

Where the proposed work includes the erection of a new building or extension this Notice shall be accompanied by the following:

  • A block plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 showing the size and the position of the building or the building as extended, and its relationship to adjoining boundaries.
  • The boundaries of the curtilage of the building or the building as extended, and the size, position and use of every other building or proposed building within that curtilage.
  • The width and position of any street on or within the boundaries of the curtilage of the building or the building as extended
  • The provision to be made for the drainage of the building or extension.
  • Where it is proposed to erect the building or extension over a sewer or drain shown on the relative map of public sewers, detail the precautions to be taken in building over a sewer or drain.

Where the proposed work involves the insertion of insulating material into the cavity walls of a building this Notice shall be accompanied by a statement as to:

  • The name and type of insulating material to be used.
  • Whether or not the insulating material is approved by the British Board of Agreement or conforms to a British Standard specification.
  • Whether or not the installer is a person who is the subject to a British Standards Institution Certificate of Registration or has been approved by the British Board of Agreement for the insertion of that material.

Where the proposed work involves the provision of an unvented hot water storage system, this Notice shall be accompanied by a statement as to:

  • The name, make and type of hot water storage system to be installed.
  • The name of the body, if any, which has approved or certified that the system is capable of performing in a way which satisfies the requirements of Part G of Schedule 1 of the Building Regulations;
  • The name of the body, if any, which has issued a current registered operative identity card to the installer or proposed installer of the system.


A charge is usually payable to contribute towards the cost of site inspections, being a single payment which covers all necessary site visits until satisfactory completion of the work in accordance with the Building Regulations.

The Notice charge is calculated in accordance with current charges regulations and is payable at the time of submission.

A guidance note on charges is available on request.

Additional information

Subject to certain provisions of the Public Health Act 1936 owners and occupiers of premises are entitled to have their private foul and surface water drains connected to the public sewers, where available.

Special arrangements apply to trade effluent discharge. Persons wishing to make such connections must not give less than 21 days' notice to the appropriate Authority.

If you require further information and advice concerning the Building Regulations and planning matters contact a member of the Building Control team.

This Building Notice shall cease to have effect three years after it is submitted, unless the work has been commenced before the expiry of that period.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email