Garden waste subscription terms and conditions
1. You have agreed to pay Preston City Council to collect garden waste that has been placed in a brown domestic wheeled bin (of 240 litre capacity or less). The period of collection for 2021/22 runs from 5 April 2021 to 3 April 2022 with the exception of the Christmas and New Year period. Full details of the Christmas break in service will be provided nearer the time.
2. The 2021/22 garden waste annual collection charge is £35 for the emptying of one brown bin fortnightly.
3. Additional subscriptions may be purchased if additional bins are required to be emptied. There is no limit to the number of subscriptions that a household may purchase. Each bin is subject to the full annual subscription charge.
4. For your property to be eligible to subscribe to this service, we must be able to access your collection point with a 32 tonne refuse collection vehicle. If this is not possible you will not be able to participate.
5. In line with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, you have the right to cancel your subscription within 14 days of opting-in without giving a reason. Requests to cancel your subscription can be made through the following ways:
- Email - email@example.com
- Phone - 01772 906905
- In writing -
Preston City Council
6. You will receive a unique self-adhesive permit for your bin within 10 working days of subscribing. Your permit should be clearly displayed on the back of your bin so that is it is visible to our crews on collection day. We cannot guarantee collection during this delivery period. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01772 906905 if you still have not received your permit after 10 working days.
7. Our crews will not empty any bin that does not display a valid permit. If your permit becomes detached, defaced or lost, contact us at email@example.com or 01772 906905. Collections cannot be guaranteed until the replacement permit is displayed on the bin.
8. If you receive your 2021/22 permit prior to 5 April 2021, when placing the permit upon your bin it should be positioned in a way as to be easily visible to crews whilst not obscuring any permit that is still active for the 2020/21 year.
9. There will be no reductions for part year subscriptions and no refunds or part refunds for the cancellation of the service part way through the year. If there is evidence of misuse of the service or the bin by you, then the service may be cancelled. There will be no refund in these circumstances.
10. Subscriptions cannot be transferred between properties. The subscription will be retained at the registered property and bins should not be removed. If you move to a new property which is not registered with a current subscription, you will be required to purchase a new subscription to continue with garden waste collections.
11. To ensure your collections continue uninterrupted, payment is required every year in advance. You will be notified of the annual charge and the date we begin to accept payments for the forthcoming subscription period in January each year. If you don't pay prior to the start of the new subscription year, we will withdraw the service until such time as you re-subscribe.
12. If you pay cash via PayPoint or at a Post Office you must keep your receipt as we may not be able to answer any queries, rectify any errors, or process a refund request without it.
13. New and replacement brown bins are available. Delivery charges apply. For details see new, repair or replacement bins. You are also responsible for any loss or damage of the wheeled bin other than where damage is caused as a result of the collection process.
14. Bins are provided for use by residents, but remain the property of the Council.
15. The Council reserves the right to refuse to empty bins containing inappropriate materials, bins that are too heavy to safely manoeuvre, bins where waste is heavily compacted or the contents are frozen, or bins where the lid is not closed. For further details on how to use your brown bin and which waste can be placed within it see our garden waste section.
16. The Council is not obliged to provide a collection service where collection is prevented due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control such as severe weather, blocked access or industrial action. The Council will however make every attempt to return to bins missed due to such occurrences at its earliest convenience.
17. Refunds will not be given if a collection is missed.
18. It is your responsibility to ensure the bin is presented for collection at the curtilage of the property or agreed collection point at the registered address on the correct day by 7am.
19. Missed collections must be reported by the end of the second working day following the scheduled collection day. You can do this by reporting a missed bin or by contacting us on 01772 906905 (lines close at 5pm).
20. If a collection is missed due to an error on the part of the Council or its operatives, once notified we will return as soon as is practicable to empty the bin.
21. Your brown bin must be used to collect garden waste from domestic properties only. Only garden waste may be placed loose in the bin. Garden waste includes grass cuttings, hedge clippings, tree loppings, twigs, bark, leaves, straw, hay, flowers, plants, small branches and wind fallen fruit. Your brown bin should not be used for large branches, turf, earth, soil, invasive plant species such as Japanese Knotweed, stones/gravel, packaging, plant pots or liquids. For full details see garden waste. The garden waste must not be placed in plastic bags as this affects the composting process. Food waste cannot be placed in the garden waste bin.
22. Contaminated bins (i.e. bins containing inappropriate materials) will not be emptied. If your bin is contaminated, it is your responsibility to remove the item(s) of contamination prior to the next collection. If the contamination continues we reserve the right to remove the bin. No refund will be applied in such circumstances.
23. The bin lid must be completely closed and no side waste will be collected including, but not limited to, extra waste placed next to the bin, upon the floor or on the lid. If the bin is too heavy to be lifted safely, you will be expected to remove material to ensure it is safe to lift prior to the next scheduled collection.
24. The Council reserves the right to audit bins and their contents at any time to ensure proper use.
25. The Council reserves the right to repossess any bins being used improperly.
26. The Council reserves the right to vary these terms and amend the annual charge for the service.
27. The terms and conditions of this contract do not affect your Statutory Rights.
28. This agreement ensures that your garden waste is being collected lawfully under Section 34 of The Environmental Protection Act 1990 and in line with The Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012.
Terms and Conditions correct at time of publication.