School competition launched to design council bin wagon
Secondary school pupils in Preston have been asked to design artwork for one of Preston City Council's new fleet of bin wagons arriving Spring/Summer 2024. For participating schools, the competition begins on 13 November 2023 and runs for 4 weeks.
There is no set theme for the designs, however pupils are asked to consider the following criteria to be in with a chance of winning:
- How we can encourage reducing, reusing and recycling our waste
- Correct ways to recycle and how this benefits the environment
- Providing a positive message to residents
- How the design would look when it rotates around the bin wagon
- Creating a colourful, eye-catching design to make our bin wagon stand out!
The winning design will be displayed on the body of a new waste collection vehicle which rotates when in use. The competition winner will also win an Amazon Fire HD Plus tablet and Parker Pen, and there will be prizes awarded for two runners-up.
Councillor Freddie Bailey, cabinet member for Environment and Community Safety said:
"Young people are the future of our city and we want them to help us create a greener, cleaner city. We want secondary school children to design a piece of artwork that can be displayed on our new fleet of bin wagons that is unique to Preston and promotes recycling and reducing waste."
The competition is open to secondary school children based in Preston attending a participating school.
We want to see your designs focused on reducing, reusing and recycling waste.
We want our wagon to stand out, so make your design as colourful as possible and think about how it would fit on a bin wagon with a rotating body.
Watch the following video to see what the bin wagon would look like:
How to enter
Draw, paint or create digital art on an A4 landscape piece of paper and hand it in to your school reception by midnight on 8 December 2023.
The pupil's name, school and year group must be written on the back of the submission paper.
Please note: the winning pupil(s) must be willing to participate in any publicity regarding the competition.
The pupil with the winning design will be awarded an Amazon Fire HD Plus tablet and a Parker Pen, as well as a trophy to celebrate their achievements. Prizes will also be awarded to two runners-up.
Bin Wagon Panel Design Competition Poster
Terms and Conditions
By entering the competition, entrants are deemed to have accepted, and agreed to be bound by, the following Terms and Conditions:
- The competition opens on 13 November 2023 and all entries must be submitted by midnight on 8 December 2023.
- Entrants must be attending a participating secondary school in the Preston City Council boundary or be home educated and between the ages of 11 and 16 living in Preston.
- Entrants must not be associated with any employees of Preston City Council or their families.
- Entrants must submit one A4 piece of paper in landscape format with a positive design encouraging residents to reduce, reuse or recycle their waste.
- The pupil's name, school and year group must be written on the back of the submission paper.
- Home educated entrants must post their submission, along with proof of age and address to: Waste Technical Officer, Preston City Council, Argyll Road, Preston, PR1 6JY. Postal entries must be received by midnight on 11 December 2023.
- Evidence of age and address includes copies of: birth certificate, passport or a letter from a GP/dentist/hospital/optician.
- Entrants must not submit original documents as we cannot guarantee they will be returned.
- Home educated entries without proof of age and address will not be accepted.
- Schools may submit multiple entries, but only one entry per pupil will be accepted.
- Pupils are allowed to use any medium, however the design must be clear and legible to be considered.
- The winning design may be amended to fit within the parameters of the vehicle livery, if required.
- Preston City Council accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed or misdirected entries.
- Entries will be judged according to the following criteria: creativity, showing how to reduce/reuse/recycle waste in Preston, suitability for the bin wagon, use of colour.
- Schools will be notified by email of any winning entrants. Home educated entrants will be notified via letter.
- The winners will be required to partake in any publicity or media activity relating to the competition, which may include photography.
- The judges will be the Head of Operations, Waste Technical Officer and Cabinet member for Environment and Community Safety, unless otherwise informed.
- The judges' decision is final, and no further correspondence will be carried out other than to notify the winning entrants.
- The Council reserves the right to vary these terms at any time.