Toggle menu

Exciting plans for The Harris

The Harris will temporarily close from 5pm on Saturday 2 October.

Home maintenance

House with crane next to it

We can advise you on how to get help with maintaining your home, whether you are a tenant or home owner.

Rented homes in disrepair

People who rent a home are not usually responsible for its structural condition and general repairs, unless this is specified in the lease. There are certain standards that a rented home must reach.

If you are a tenant and you believe your home is in disrepair, you should first write to your landlord to ask them to assess the problem and take action to rectify any defects. For more information see the DirectGov: Making repairs in privately rented accommodation pages.

If your landlord refuses to fix a defect within a reasonable time period, despite your asking him in writing, you should contact us and we will arrange to inspect the property. You can contact us by the following methods:

  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01772 906900
  • Post: Housing Standards, Environmental Health Department, Town Hall, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 2RL.

We will inform the landlord about defects we found during our inspection and ask them to carry out any necessary works within a certain timescale. If the landlord fails to do this then we can serve a notice requiring repairs to be carried out within a specified timescale.

If the landlord does not comply with the notice then we may carry out the works and recover costs from the landlord.

For general information on landlords and tenants responsibilities see Icon for pdf repairs guide for landlords and tenants [423.17KB].

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email