Toggle menu

Exciting plans for The Harris

The Harris will temporarily close from 5pm on Saturday 2 October.

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFGs)

Pound sign

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are used to provide home adaptations for disabled people, generally for the purpose of improving access - access into and around the home and access to, or provision of, basic amenities such as bathing and WC.

The current maximum expenditure limit for these grants is £30,000, although the amount will be affected by the financial circumstances of the disabled person.

The grants are implemented in partnership with Lancashire County Council Social Services who recommend the necessary works based on their assessment of medical or physical need. They will also decide which enquiries are the most urgent, which may affect the speed of grant processing.

To request an Occupational Therapist (OT) assessment, contact Lancashire County Council Social Services.

Grant conditions

When applying for the grant, you will need to sign an agreement that you will, wherever possible, occupy the house for a minimum of ten years. In view of this, should you relocate within this period the council would not consider an application for grant in your new home.

A recoverable land charge will be applied where grant exceeds £5,000. Disposal of the property within 10 years of grant completion will result in repayment of such part of the grant that exceeds £5,000 but the amount repayable will not exceed £10,000.

Adaptations and house extensions

Wherever possible the council will seek to provide the adaptations within the structure of the dwelling. Extensions will only be considered where property size, internal arrangement, circulation and cost effectiveness mean that it is the best course of action.

Housing association adaptations

Housing association tenants should approach their landlords rather than us.

Stages in a Disabled Facilities Grant application

1. Initial enquiry

The disabled person should first of all contact Social Services to arrange for an Occupational Therapist to assess their needs. To request an Occupational Therapist (OT) assessment, contact Lancashire County Council Social Services.

2. Visit from the Occupational Therapist

To define needs and recommend any necessary home adaptations.

3. Referral to the council's Strategic Housing Department

Recommendation for grant, from Social Services, based on the Occupational Therapist's assessment of needs.

4. Preliminary test of resources

To estimate the amount of grant aid and the applicant's contribution.

5. Survey

To examine the proposed adaptations in relation to the rest of the house, confirm their eligibility, and see what, if any, other building work must be done at the same time. Assistance with completing the application forms may be given if required.

6. Schedule of work

This is sent out to the applicant, who will now need to provide a contractor's estimate, proof of ownership, and make a commitment to occupy the house.

7. Formal application

The information is returned, and an interview is arranged to carry out the full test of resources and formally submit the application.

8. Grant approval

The estimate and other technical details are checked and a grant approval notice is issued. The applicant will then have twelve months to complete the work.

9. Starting the work

When the work is ready to start, the applicant contacts the Grants Section. If necessary, a meeting can be arranged at the house for a grants surveyor to discuss the work with the applicant and contractor.

10. Finishing the work

On completion, the work will be checked by the grants surveyor and an Occupational Therapist. If they are satisfied that the work is as specified arrangements will be made to pay the grant.

11. Payment

Payment is made direct to the contractor.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email