This information is correct at the time of publishing on the 3 June 2020.

Certain business and venues have to close under the Coronavirus Regulations. These are mainly businesses that involve members of the public mixing.

The government is slowly relaxing the restrictions, as they implement the 'Plan to rebuild' and we will endeavour to ensure the information on this page is as up to date and accurate as possible.

To view the Coronavirus Regulations visit Legislation - The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 (as amended).

Businesses that have to close

Food and drink Exceptions

Restaurants and public houses, wine bars or other food and drink establishments including within hotels and members' clubs

This also includes seating areas on or adjacent to the the premises where seating is made available for customers. For example pavement cafes, beer gardens or shared seating areas such as in shopping centres.

Food delivery and takeaway can remain operational and can be a new activity supported by the new permitted development right.

This covers the provision of hot or cold food that has been prepared for consumers for collection or delivery to be consumed, reheated or cooked by consumers off the premises.

Café's and canteens

This also includes seating areas on or adjacent to the the premises where seating is made available for customers. 

For example pavement cafes, beer gardens or shared seating areas such as in shopping centres.

Food delivery and takeaway can remain operational (and as above).

Café's and canteens at hospitals, police and fire services' places of work, care homes or schools; prison and military canteens; services providing food or drink to the homeless.

Where there are no practical alternatives, other workplace canteens can remain open to provide food for their staff and/or provide a space for breaks. However, where possible, staff should be encouraged to bring their own food, and distributors should move to takeaway.

Measures should be taken to minimise the number of people in the canteen / break space at any one given time, for example by using a rota.

Hairdressers, barbers, beauty and nail salons, including piercing and tattoo parlours 
All retail with notable exceptions
  • Food retailers, including supermarkets
  • Dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services (including physiotherapy and podiatry services), and services relating to mental health
  • Pharmacies and chemists, including non-dispensing pharmacies
  • Petrol stations
  • Bicycle shops
  • Homeware, building supplies and hardware stores, including where those stores supply equipment for hire
  • Garden centres and plant nurseries
  • Veterinary surgeries and pet shops
  • Agricultural supplies shops
  • Convenience stores, corner shops and newsagents
  • Off-licences and licensed shops selling alcohol, including those within breweries
  • Laundrettes and dry cleaners
  • Post offices
  • Taxi or vehicle hire businesses
  • Car repair and MOT services
  • Car parks
  • Banks, building societies, short-term loan providers, credit unions, savings clubs, cash points, currency exchange offices, businesses for the transmission of money, and businesses which cash cheque's.
  • Storage and distribution facilities, including delivery drop off or collection points where they are on the premises of any of the above businesses
  • Public toilets
  • Shopping centres may stay open but only units of the types listed above may trade
Indoor markets

Market stalls which offer essential retail, such as grocery and food.

Outdoor Markets may now open.

Preston Markets

Auction housesLive stock auctions
Hotels, hostels, Bed and Breakfasts, holiday rentals, campsites and boarding houses for commercial use

Where people live in these as interim abodes whilst their primary residence is unavailable, or they live in them permanently, they may continue to do so.

Non-UK residents who are unable to travel to their country of residence during this period can continue to stay in hotels or similar where required.

Hotels and other accommodation listed can be provided to any person who is unable to return to their main residence, and to non-UK residents unable to travel.

Hotels and other accommodation listed can provide services to any critical worker that is part of the effort to deal with coronavirus, if the stay is necessary for their work.

The list of critical workers was published by the Cabinet Office and Department for Education on 19 March 2020.

People who are unable to move into a new home due to the current restrictions can also stay at hotels.

Where hotels, hostels, and Bed and Breakfasts are providing rooms to support homeless and other vulnerable people such as those who cannot safely stay in their home, through arrangements with local authorities and other public bodies, they may remain open.

Those attending a funeral will be able to use hotels when returning home would be impractical.

Hotels and other accommodation listed are allowed to host blood donation sessions.

Caravan parks/sites for commercial uses

Where people live permanently in caravan parks or are staying in caravan parks as interim abodes where their primary residence is not available, they may continue to do so.

Caravan parks also have the same exemptions as hotels and other forms of accommodation listed above.

Non-residential institutionsExceptions

Digital library services and those where orders are taken electronically, by telephone or by post (for example no-contact Home Library Services) may continue.

Lancashire County Council Library Services

Community centres, youth centres and similarFor the purpose of hosting essential voluntary or public services, such as food banks, homeless services, and blood donation sessions.

Public venues that host blood donation sessions can continue to open temporarily for these services only. A distance of two metres should be maintained as per Public Health England guidelines.
Places of worshipFunerals may be held but attendees must follow the restrictions as per Regulation 6(1)(g), and it is advised that funerals be conducted in line with guidance from Public Health England.

Burial grounds and cemeteries can remain open. Grounds surrounding crematoria may also remain open, including gardens of remembrance. See the Council's Crematorium & Cemetery for up to date advice about our local services.

Providers of funeral services, such as funeral directors and funeral homes, may remain open.

A minister of religion or worship leader may leave their home to travel to their place of worship. A place of worship may broadcast an act of worship, whether over the Internet or otherwise.

A place of worship can remain open for the purpose of hosting essential voluntary activities and urgent public services, such as food banks, homeless services, and blood donation sessions
Assembly and leisureExceptions
Museums and galleries 
Cinemas, theatres and concert hallsSmall group performances for the purposes of live streaming could be permissible where Public Health England guidelines are observed and no audience members attend the venue.
Bingo halls, casinos and betting shops 
Spas and massage parlours 
Skating rinks 
Indoor fitness studios, gyms, swimming pools, bowling alleys, amusement arcades, soft play areas, indoor games, recreation and entertainment venues or other leisure centre facilitiesAny suitable assembly or leisure premises may open for blood donation sessions.
Arcades, bowling alleys, soft play centres and similar 
Funfairs (indoors & outdoors), theme parks and adventure parks and activities. 
Outdoor recreationExceptions
Playgrounds, indoor sports courts, outdoor gyms and outdoor swimming pools

Outdoor sports courts, including public and private outdoor enclosed areas such as tennis courts, golf courses, basketball courts, bowling greens and football pitches, can open.

The government strongly advises that social distancing guidance is followed when using these facilities. Bars and clubhouses at outdoor sports facilities must remain closed other than for takeaway to be consumed off site.

Parks, open countryside, beaches and waterways can remain open. For further information please visit government guidance on access to green spaces and outdoor recreation.

Preston Parks COVID-19 pages.

Social Clubs 
Model Villages 
Aquariums and Zoos, including Safari Parks 
Visitor Attractions at Farms 

Indoor attractions at visitor attractions such as botanical or other garden, biomes or greenhouses. Heritage sites of film studio.

An indoor attraction means those parts of a venue, including shops and visitors centres (but not toilets) which would be considered substantially enclosed for the Purpose of the Smokefree Regulations 2006.


Businesses that can stay open

If your workplace is one which is exempt or not included in the governments list, then you are encouraged to remain open and continue to trade, if you are able to do so.

This is typically a workplace that does not allow members of the public inside such as:

  • factories
  • warehouses
  • call-centres
  • offices
  • care homes
  • animal kennels
  • Local Authorities
  • funeral directors 

Window cleaners and tradesman

Window cleaners and tradesmen can also go into peoples homes, as long as they are not showing signs of the infection and they maintain social distancing and members of the household they are visiting aren't in isolation.

Food businesses

Food businesses can remain open only if food is provided as a takeaway or by a delivery service, food retailers and chemists can also remain open.


Retailers can take orders by phone or online and deliver items to customers. That why companies such as Amazon and Ebay are still trading. Many retailers are now offering click and collect services too.

Businesses dealing with animals

We have published separate advice for businesses that deal with animals.

Open premises which should be closed

The Police and ourselves have powers to close businesses that remain open against the government orders.

We will advise the business of the legislation and if necessary use our powers to ensure compliance. Remaining open is a criminal offence. Responsible persons (Owners,Managers, Directors etc) can be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice or Prosecuted.

Report a premises which should be closed

Report an open premises which should be closed by completing the following online form:

Report a coronavirus issue form

Employers and employees at work

For advice on social distancing and infection control measures please visit our advice for employers and employees page.

We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:

  • stay at home as much as possible
  • work from home if you can
  • limit contact with other people
  • keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
  • wash your hands regularly

Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms.

GOV.UK - information about what you can and cannot do

Re-opening Businesses

Many businesses are now thinking about re-opening, before you do you should view our pages on Re-opening Workplace After the Closure Period and if you are a Food Business view our pages Re-opening Food Businesses after Prolonged Closures. for helpful advice and important matters to consider.

For further information or advice contact Environmental Health on 01772 906907 or