We may seize a property such as a vehicle if we have grounds to believe that it:

  • has been used in the commission of a fly-tipping offence
  • has been used to transport controlled waste without the appropriate registration

The Control of Waste (Dealing with Seized Property) (England and Wales) 2015 Regulations require us to publish a notice of seizure on our website when a property is seized.

Current Seizure Notices

Any current notices are published on this page.

VehicleTime and dateLocation
White Ford Transit Connect - RV54 OCX10.30am 17/10/19Tulketh Road, Preston
Ford Transit Tipper Lorry, White/Green - PL51 HTO06.55am 11/11/19Longworth Street, Preston

Under section 34 B of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

A copy of the 17 October 2019 Icon for pdf noticer of seizure of property for the White Ford Transit Connect, registration RV54 0CX [258.72KB] can be downloaded here.

A copy of the 11 November 2019 Icon for pdf notice of seizure of property for a Ford Transit, Tipper Lorry, registration PL51 HTO [218.26KB] can be downloaded here.  

Claim your vehicle

Any person who wishes to make a claim over the property must give notice in writing to:

Director of Environment, Preston City Council, Town Hall, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 2RL. 

Any claim must be made within 15 working days of the date of this notice. 

Any person making a claim will be required to produce proof of identity and address.

What if I am using an agent?

Where an agent makes the claim on behalf of their principal, they will need to produce proof of identity and address of themselves and their principal together with proof of authority to act as an agent.

Where the seized property is a motor vehicle with a registration mark, and the person claiming entitlement purports to be the registered keeper, they must produce the registration document. 
The authority may be of the opinion that it is necessary to retain the seized property for the duration of an investigation or criminal proceedings.

What does the Council do with the property?

A seizure authority may sell, destroy or otherwise dispose of seized property where a seizure notice has been published and:

  • (a) The claim period had ended and no claim was made;
  • (b) A claim was made within the claim period but the seizure authority did not determine that the claimant was entitled to the property. 

Further information

For any enquiries relating to property seizures please contact the Environmental Health Service at  EHsupportteam@preston.gov.uk.