The articles of the constitution set out the basic principles that underlie the way the council operates.
The other parts of the constitution include:
- details of the council and the committees to which the council has delegated various powers and the functions that are the responsibility of the executive
- the terms of reference of the various committees and other bodies
- the standing orders that regulate the proceedings at meetings
- financial regulation's
- the code of practice for the procurement of works, supplies and services
- codes of conduct for members and employees
- the schedule for the payment of member's allowances
- and a description of the management structure of the council's workforce.